Thursday 20 February 2014

THE WINE JOURNAL

My best friend Mercy bought me a wine journal on my birthday last month. She knew I was taking up this interest in learning about wine and drinks. Wow! I really appreciated this gift.I had been scribbling my wine tasting notes on papers and sticky notes which ended up getting lost.

This journal is amazing. It helps me organize my notes in an orderly manner. It has these sections that are tailor-made for any burgeoning wine aficionado or the established connoisseur. It has some printed notes on the history of wine, the science of wine making and a glossary. Every page has a printed fun fact about wine.
It has a page for wine recipes and a lot more that every wine lover will appreciate.





It also has a page with 100+ websites that every wine freak should know. The first step about learning about wine is having a place where you can organize your information. Though much of a wine journals functionality is replicated online there is something attractive and fulfilling about having something tangible. Ephemera is the physical token of an experience. I prefer writing down how my Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc tasted like on paper. That way I can review it many years later and re-live that experience.

"Keeping a wine journal is helpful, not only to trigger your memory but as a practice of identifying exactly what appeals to you. One of the best ways to sharpen your wine tasting skills is to get in the habit of jotting down a few quick notes whenever you taste an interesting wine. If you can walk into a wine store and tell them what flavours and styles you like and your budget, you'll walk out with a bottle you like, possibly one you wouldn't have chosen based on a region or name.


No comments:

Post a Comment